Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Dumbest Generation?

After reading both of the articles, I feel as though both authors have valid points; however, overall, I definitely do not feel as though we are the dumbest generation. Embracing the new technology of today does not make us dumb or lazy. I think that sometimes our priorities may not be in the right place, but this can be said of any teenager during any time period. When it comes down to it, we are a very smart generation. College standards for incoming freshmen are set higher every single year because students' transcripts keep getting more and more impressive.

The authors of both articles are not from our generation so how can they pass judgements on it? I think that they are very bitter towards the idea of change, and this accounts for why they feel as though we are dumb. I think that our generation is very lucky to be able to experience all of the new technological advances of today. I think that a lot of adults look at us as dumb, lazy, and stupid because they do not know how else to perceive us. To them, it may seem as though we may spend all of our time with our heads glued to the computer screen, but I'm sure if they were a teenager during this time, they would be the same way. I don't think technological use is a bad thing. I think it is very beneficial. America is all about change, advancing, and growing, so I do not understand how older generations can frown upon the fact that we are absorbing every thing technology has to offer. In no way, shape or form do I think we are the dumbest generation.

3 comments:

LCorti said...

I completely agree with your statement about the rigor of the college application process. The graduating 2009 HS class has the most difficult standards of getting into their first choice colleges. If we are such a dumb generation then why do college standards continue to increase?

Melissa said...

I liked how you wrote about how they are not from our generation and therefore do not understand they way in which we use technology. It is so true that if they were in our generation they would have their heads in computers everyday too instead of books. While yes we still read, using the computer is much more beneficial. Also I really liked how you mentioned the fact about getting into college and how much more competitive it has become. You wrote a good argument and really brought up many new ideas to me.

steve clement said...

well said, bri. we do use technology for our own benefit, and that is perfectly fine. we may be in front of computers often, but that is the age in which we live. mail and telephones are now obselete, so why should use them. we also manage our time quite well - we have school among sports, clubs, jobs and other commitments. we can take care of ourselves just as well as any other generation. it is not that we are dumber than previous teenagers, but our focus has changed due to the changes in our environment.