Sunday, October 5, 2008

VP Debate

I thought the Vice President debate between Sarah Palin and Joe Biden was pretty entertaining and interesting. There were three main issues discussed: the economy, the war in Iraq, and off-shore drilling for oil.

Clearly, there is currently a financial crisis in the USA. Biden and Palin both had different views and opinons on the crisis. Biden went against Bush at full force; he blamed Bush for this major financial crisis that is consuming America today. Palin, on the other hand, blamed the whole situation on Wall Street. She believes that this whole crisis is due to the selfish workers on Wall Street. Personally, I would have to say that I agree with both Biden and Palin. I think that George Bush waited way to long to take notice to this financial crisis. Now, it's too late to go back and fix anything, and we're being forced to put $7 billion back into the banking system. However, Palin has a point when she says the Wall Street workers were very greedy and selfish and kind of screwed over the banks in America by writing bad checks and paying themselves incredible amounts of money. I think both of the VP candidates made good points concerning this issue.

Another main issue discussed was the war in Iraq. Biden and Palin have very extremely different opinions on where the government should be putting their money when it comes to the war. Joe Biden thinks that the money should go towards rebuilding the nation, while Palin thinks that we should use the money to put even more troops in Iraq! Palin looks down upon Obama's yearning to meet with the president of Iran; she thinks it will be dangerous and that nothing good will come of it. Biden didn't really have that much to say in response. I believe that we should use the money to rebuild. I don't think that we should put any more money into sending more troops to Iraq. I don't think we should send any more troops to Iraq at all; I feel like it's time to pull them out. I do have to agree with Palin though when she says that meeting with the president of Iran is a bad idea. I think that would cause even more tension then there already is.

The last issue debated was off-shore drilling for oil. Palin thinks that we should most definitely drill offshore for oil to lower our dependency on other countries in the Middle East. Biden thinks that we should look for alternative energy sources so that we don't endanger the environment. I think that if we can find other sources, then that's great, but if not, I think that we should drill offshore because we can not go on being dependent on the Middle East for oil.

Overall, I thought that Biden won the debate. I think that Sarah Palin did much better then she was expected to which was great for her, but I still think Biden made better points. I really didn't like how Sarah was all smiles and winking at the camera. It's a debate not a beauty pageant. Sarah definitely got back some of her dignity during the debate, but overall, I think Biden was better.

No comments: